Elgazette Logo newtrans  The magazine for English language teaching and English medium education


How much does a course cost?

Individual course providers set their own course fees. A moderation fee payable to Trinity will be charged to every trainee by the training organisation in addition to the course fee. Trinity does not keep a record of the individual course costs; the course provider should be contacted directly for this information. To find a centre's contact details refer to Trinity’s course search www.trinitycollege.co.uk/coursesearch

How long is the course?

The course is a minimum of 130 hours of study and can be taken on a full-time basis over a minimum of four weeks or on a part-time basis over a longer period, usually anything between three months to a year. There are a few university institutions who build in a Trinity CertTESOL to a BA Degree in TEFL or Languages over a longer period.

Where can you do the course?

The Trinity course search www.trinitycollege.co.uk/coursesearch allows you to search for validated course providers and their contact details in your area.

How do I apply for the course?

Different course providers will have their own application procedures: contact the centres for details.

When do the courses start?

Different centres will run courses at different times throughout the year; you will need to speak to a specific centre for its course dates.

Can I get any funding to pay for the course?

Some institutions receive government funding towards the CertTESOL programme and are therefore able to charge lower than average fees. Some unemployed people are eligible for assistance with fees. Please check with the course provider or your local education authority for details.

Can I study for the Certificate by distance learning?

Trinity stipulates that the course must contain at least 130 hours of training combining face-to-face and private study. However, some course providers do add an element of distance learning, such as a pre-course task. Check with the centre for exact details.

What formal qualifications do I need to do the course?

Course providers set their own entry requirements but as a minimum Trinity states that all trainees must have sufficient educational qualifications to gain entry to higher education (i.e. university or equivalent).

Is there an age limit?

Trinity requires that all trainees be at least 18 years old but individual course providers may set a higher age limit. Trinity does not stipulate an upper age limit for the course.

Do I need to have taught before to be able to do the course?

The course is designed for those with little or, more usually, no experience of teaching English.

Can I do the course if English isn't my first language?

English does not have to be your first language but you must be able to demonstrate a high level of English language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, whether it is a first, second or foreign language for you.

Is the Trinity Certificate a recognised course?

Yes, it is recognised as a qualification for English language teaching in the UK and internationally.

It meets the specifications set by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA), the statutory body authorised to approve qualifications in this field in England, and the (former) British Association of TESOL Qualifying Institutions in establishing a national framework of specifications. It is also accepted as an initial qualification by the British Council in the English language teaching organisations accredited by the Council in the UK and in their own teaching operations outside the UK. Many other state and independent sector teaching organisations also accept the qualification.